Biblioteca Central de Cornellà
Cornellà Central Library’s origins go back to the old Joan Maragall Popular Library, which was founded on 26 June 1943 on the ground floor of Can Gaia, in the Centro neighbourhood of the city.
Four years later, in 1947, a shortage of space saw it moving to calle Mossèn Jacint Verdaguer, 66, next to the Rambla, in a building that had previously been a nursery school.
On 22 December 1969 the Joan Maragall Popular Library was installed in calle Joan Maragall, in the building known popularly as the Casa de Cultura.
The library was moved to its present site, in the building of the Centre Cultural Joan N. García-Nieto in 1996, and opened on 23 April, Saint George’s Day, now as the Central Library.
In 2006, improvement and extension work was carried out to the library building, thanks to which the useful space increased from 2,040 m2 to the present 2,400 m2.